Best website builders
Anyone with an organization, a small business or just a passion needs a website to share it with the world. These are the best website builders we have tested for making it easy to create full-featured, mobile-compatible sites on a budget and with no coding required.
What are website builders?
Building a website used to require learning how to code but those days were in the past. Now you can easily create a new website using a website builder.
Website builders are tools that allow the construction of websites without manual code editing. We can also say that a website builder is a program or tool which helps you to build your website.
Whether you own a small business or you are looking to create your own blog, website builders make it easy for you. So you don’t have to hire a web designer to have a professionally designed site.
Website builders make it easy for users to make their own websites with little effort or coding skills. Anyone can achieve a professionally designed site without using a web designer.
Types of website builders
There are basically two main types of website builders:
1) Offline website builders
Offline website builders come as software programs that you download and install on your computer. You will build your website and saves your files on your computer. All you need to do is upload all your website files to a web host.
One advantage of such website builders is that the software is running on your computer and you can work on your website even being offline. But because you will need to upload your files to a web host, you atleast need some technical skills or experience. You will need to buy a web hosting account in additional to the website builder software.
2) Online website builders
Online website builders are web-based and run on the provider’s service. Unlike offline website builders, you don’t need to download any software on your computer. All you need is a web browser and a good internet connection.
This allows you to work on your website from anywhere and any device.
Another benefit is that the website builder comes with web hosting services. So you don’t need to purchase it or set it up separately. Many online builders are designed for people with little or no coding experience.
How do online website builders work?
Online website builders are designed to be very easy to use to create an entire website within minutes using a drag-and-drop editor. Users build a website simply by dragging elements and dropping them to the desired location and no coding knowledge or experience is required.
Let’s take a look how online website builders work:
1) You start by choosing a design template that best fits your needs. All online website builders come with a library of website templates.
2) Each template comes with built-in elements and content. To edit an element, all you need to do is click on it. This will open the editor where you can make changes.
3) Add new elements and widgets to enhance your website. Standard elements and widgets include images, galleries, video, contact forms, blogs, social sharing buttons. You can also add a PayPal Buy Now button or a full-on shopping cart if you want to sell products on your website.
4) Once you are satisfied with your new website, just click on the publish button and your website will be viewable online.
The best website builders you should consider!
Now let’s have a look on the best website builders we have tested.
1) Gator Website Builder
- well designed
- clear interface
- modern site templates
- yearly plans include domain name and SSL certificate
- easy store setup with digital download selling
- good included site stats
- no free plan
- lacks email marketing
- no photo editing
- cannot schedule blog posts
- limited app store
Gator is a new offering in the DIY website building space. It has come from established HostGator. This hits all the right notes and it won’t break the bank.
- very clear
- friendly drag-and-drop interface
- responsive-design site templates
- store functionality with digital download sales
- site stats included on dashboard
- no photo editing tools
- cannot customize mobile sites
- lacks widget marketplace
- no shipping service integrations
Simvoly offers easy to use tools for building a good looking and responsive design site with a respectable level of customizability.
- extremely intuitive site-building interface
- loads of site gadgets
- free site option
- hundreds of templates for specific businesses and other uses
- good mobile site-building tools
- rich web store features
- No built-in statistics feature
- sites don’t use responsive design in the strict sense
It is an extremely intuitive site-building interface. It has rich web store features.
- true drag-and-drop
- WYSIWYG interface
- freedom in placement and sizing of site elements
- good mobile customization
- scheduled posting
- sparse e-commerce tools
- no image editing
- no included stats or analytics
- blog tool lacks many standard options
PageCloud is a website builder with a modern drag-and-drop with WYSIWYG interface. It gives you lots of leeway in page design and solid mobile customization. But it lacks standard e-commerce, blogging and analytic features.
- beautiful responsive designs that accommodate mobile screens
- lots of powerful website building tools and options
- deep selling capabilities including digital downloads
- good help and analytics tools
- less straightforward than competing site builders
- fewer and more-restrictive templates than the competition
- no free level
- lacks third-party widget marketplace
- no preview and little customization for mobile sites
Squarespace gets you a modern, beautiful, responsive website for desktop and mobile. It lets you expand to full-scale commerce too.
6) uCoz uKit
- Slick Interface
- saves uploaded images for reuse
- the good and easy blogging tool
- gamification features
- low monthly price
- restrictive site element positioning
- lacks mobile site customization
- zero image editing
- no included site statistics
This good looking website builder from Russia offers everything you could want to get a mobile-friendly and commerce-capable site online. Look elsewhere for built-in statistics and image editing.
- generous storage limits
- easy, clear, drag-and-drop site-building
- photo editing
- mobile site not included with entry-level plan
- no commerce features without separate purchase
- blogging tool is absent
- no standard page types in some templates
- site membership is not available
Known mostly for domain registration and site hosting, GoDaddy also offers this basic, easy to use but somewhat limited website builder.
- great blogging options
- scheduled posts and draft saving
- good looking design themes
- free option
- reasonable pricing for paid plans
- sites can be transferred
- no WYSIWYG or drag-and-drop functionality
- limited customization of page layouts
- counterintuitive interface
- no email campaigns
- store integration not as seamless as in competition
- no photo editing tools
- no phone tech support
Website builder WordPress is a fine and low-cost choice for blogging but building customized sites with it are not as easy as with competitors.
9) YAHOO small business websites
- attractive site templates
- free option
- automatic mobile sites
- restrictive site design
- awkward interface
- no online selling
- image editing or repository not possible
- true blogging is not possible
Yahoo Small business websites lets you build a good-looking site but it is not as flexible as the competition when it comes to design and it lacks any sort of online commerce features.
Building a website has never been easier!
Getting your message out these days requires good helpings of Facebook and Twitter with maybe a dash of Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Tumblr. If you want an internet presence that truly represents your organization. You also need a website that sets you apart from the crowd.
A real website as opposed to a social media page gives you complete control over design and content. This lends credibility to your business, organization or personal brand.
It has never been easier to set up a professional-looking and design forward website. Well known DIY site building services such as SquareSpace and Wix are constantly improving and adding new capabilities. Newer competitors such as Simvoly, Strikingly, Ucraft and uKit are popping up all the time with their own clever twists on the process.
The best website builder deals with offers
i) GoDaddy- Save up to 19% on websites + Marketing annual plan for the first year
ii) Gator Website Builder- Save up to 50%
iii) 1&1 IONOS- One month free trial
Several of the services included here offer free options too. If you choose that path, your site will include branding from the provider. It makes your site less impressive to savvy surfers and shoppers. Free offerings vary greatly in the storage, bandwidth and site options they allow.
Register your domain
Before you can start building your home on the web, you need an address for it. Most of the site builders can register a nique domain for you and all can give you a web address using the provider’s domain. Some include a custom domain name with their plans usually requiring a year’s commitment. The services also let you use a domain you have acquired from a third-party registrar such as pairNIC.
Website Design Tools
All of the web services listed here have start by choosing from a selection of templates for your site. They offer specifically targeted templates based on your site’s purpose.
So many site-building choices!
As you can see, there are quite a few factors to consider when to choose an easy online website builder. There are atleast 20 more vendors than those included in this list. We have reviewed many of those but they didn’t make the cut either because of outdated site designs, lack of site-building options or inadequate ease-of-use.